subtitle

maybe "rants" isn't the right word. these are simple thoughts about my life. some may be more colorful than others. some language may be offensive, but it depends on your definition of offensive. consider this your warning ;)

03 February 2014

Photo and Blog a Day Challenge Day 3/28: Metal

A bannister from the second floor. I've lived in a couple second floor apartments. Quite a few two-story buildings at that. House, townhouse, and apartment building are all checked off on my Not A Homeowner Bingo Card. Although stairs make moving a bit more complicated, living on the second floor has it's benefits.

But I'm not here to talk about the second floor today. And it wasn't until I opened up my Blogger Dashboard and looked at the empty text box that I knew what I was going to write about. Not many people know this story, but it's one of my favorites.

If you don't believe in signs, then you may just get a kick out of the grand coincidence that it will share, but if you do--like me--then well, yeah, it's a sign if I ever saw one.

In the weeks prior to Sarah's graduation a couple years ago, we were driving one day with her mother towards the campus to scope out parking spots and to show her where everything would be. Beach alumni herself, it had been a quite a few years since she had been by campus, so we wanted to come by since we were in the neighborhood. Sarah drove with her mother sitting shotgun, and I in the back.

A couple miles away from the campus I mentioned that the first apartment I lived in in Long Beach was  "down that street."

Admitting she lived in an apartment in that area herself when she was attending CSULB, she asked which building I was in, saying that she used to live on Orizaba Ave as well. I described the complex to her and the gears were turning, but she couldn't quite remember which one she was in.

A few days later, she sent me a picture message of an old piece of mail that had her address.

We come to discover that of the hundreds of apartments in Long Beach, (not to mention the scores that were probably built in the years in between when she and I both attended LBSU, we rented an apartment, on the same street, in the same complex. The same upstairs unit, last one on the left, and the exact same room, the first one on the right with its own bathroom.

And the kicker? When my roommates and I found the apartment, our landlords were Gloria and...wait for it...Jesus.

Go ahead, you can say it, we did.

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

I had always believed in signs as far as I can remember. Sometimes, I'll make what some may call as obscure connections, but I'll connect things if I feel they're to be connected. With this, it was indisputable.

No comments:

Post a Comment